– My new version of Norfolk would incorporate smart growth by building new housing complexes on top of or next to city centers that contain food, shopping, and other necessities needed for everyday life. In turn this would diminish a reliance on cars and improve the environment. I would relate to the concept of in-fill development to use up all of the existing space that is available.
– Even though regulatory agencies don’t make it easy for the companies constructing new buildings, these agencies improve the environment we live in. Many times this will mean the construction company will have to spend more money to get new technological products to be used in the buildings.
– Since only 70% of the population in the US is on-line, the new Norfolk would have more public access for internet usage by putting in more computers to use in libraries or even in some cafes. There would also be tutorial sessions on how to use these technologies offered to the public.
– The Outdoor Adventure Program at Old Dominion University will be instituting a Bike Share program that will make bikes assessable to students who would like to use them around campus. This will hopefully diminish the need for students to drive around campus.
– Robert realized that instead of destroying something not used anymore, we can make another use for it.
– Since the tracks were no longer being used, the idea came up to use the glowing view of the city from the tracks as a place to spend recreational time in that city environment.
– This will create about $500 million for the city by the time it is finished being built.
The new Norfolk will incorporate use of solar panels to create new energy sources. With these in effects, the need for other fossil fuels for energy will diminish significantly and improve the greenhouse effect for the city.
Since the reliance on automobiles will be diminished in the new Norfolk, this will improve the air quality in the city. There will be a significant drop in the emissions that are put off from cars or trucks.
– If the wind turbines are placed on the outskirts of the city, the city could use them as an alternative source of energy.
– But if these turbines are placed in the middle of the city, it would be difficult to gain much energy because of the building blocking the majority of the wind.